You are here
State Funded Comprehensive Health Education
Comprehensive Health Education Grants
The "Colorado Comprehensive Health Education Act of 1990" encourages every school district to provide a pre K-12th grade planned, sequential health education program. Parental and community involvement in the program is stressed. Parents and guardians have the right to exempt from any or all of the health education program. Local health advisory councils are encouraged and should be representative of the norms and values of the community.
New Comprehensive Health Education Grantees!!
Drug Prevention Instructional Units
Beginning in 2012, the Standards and Instructional support team has been working with educators across the state of Colorado to build curriculum support resources for the successful implementation of the Colorado Academic Standards. To date, 121 school districts have participated in the authoring and/or refining of the processes and products of the Colorado District Sample Curriculum Project. New drug prevention units have been developed based on the work of the initial Instructional Unit Samples. A team of Colorado Educators convened to update the Instructional Unit Samples and in some grades create new Instructional Unit Samples to align with current standards, trends, and district needs.
- Colorado Comprehensive Health Education Act (CHEA) (PDF)
- Policies and Guidelines for Colorado Comprehensive Health and Physical Education Standards and Instruction
Comprehensive Health Fact Sheet
The State Board of Education adopted Comprehensive Health Education and Physical Education Standards in December, 2009.
- Colorado’s Comprehensive Health Education and Physical Education Standards
- Frequently asked questions about standards implementation (PDF)
- Revised Standards and Assessment Development Overview (PDF)
Previously Funded Districts
- Adams-Arapahoe 28J (APS)
- Archuleta School District 50JT
- Boulder Valley School District
- Center Consolidated Schools 26JT
- Hayden School District
- Jefferson County Public School District
- La Veta School District RE-2
- Poudre School District
- South Routt School District
- Steamboat Springs School District RE-2
- Steamboat Springs School District RE-2 North Routt
For more information, please contact:
Jamie Hurley, Office of Health & Wellness at 303.866.6453
Comprehensive Health & Physical Education Training Offerings
Trainer: Jamie Hurley – Comprehensive Health & Physical Education Principal Consultant
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
My goal with offering regional and district trainings is to develop a training specifically tailored for the needs of the educators in each district/region. The offerings listed below can be combined to create half day or full day professional development.
Each training will provide the following for each participant:
- Substitute pay
- Classroom resources
- Health & Physical Education Standards
- District Sample Curriculum Instructional Units
- Lesson Planning Development
- Instructional Strategies
- Student Learning Objectives
- Scope & Sequence development for Health & Physical Education
- Formative and Performative assessment development
*** Please contact Jamie Hurley (p: 303.866.6453) directly if you would like to discuss possible training dates and desired content for your teachers.