- 2012 Forum on Dropout Prevention and Student Engagement
- Dropout Prevention & Student Engagement 2011 Summit Details
- Dropout Prevention & Student Engagement Video
- Dropout Prevention Strategies Review
Following a 9-year low of 3,779 drug-related disciplined incidents during the 2008-09 school year, Colorado K-12 public schools experienced a sudden 10-year high of 5,048 disciplined incidents during the 2009-10 school year. The upward trend continued with the total of 5,519 during the 2010-11 school year. The 2011-12 and 2012-13 school years saw only slight decreases.
Annual school-by-school reports to the Colorado Department of Education define drug violations of the Code of Conduct as “Use, possession, or sale of drugs or controlled substances on school grounds, in school vehicles, or at school activities or sanctioned events.”
The Colorado Department of Education has collected K-12 public school drug-related disciplined incidents since the 2000-2001 school year. A 12-year trend can be viewed at: Drug-Related Suspensions and Expulsions
The following resources may be helpful to educate school staff, students, parents, and the broader public about the dangers of substance abuse. Information includes how using drugs may impede learning and undermine student achievement.
- Fact Sheet: Marijuana-Under 21 in Colorado (Laws and Penalties from the Colorado State Statutes)
- Marijuana Tips for Teens
- Marijuana Facts for Teens
- Official State of Colorado Website for Retail Marijuana Information & Resources
Understand the Big Deal: How Marijuana Harms Youth
Fact Sheet – two pages, 8 ½” x 11”
Brochure – four pages, folded 11” x 17” (can print two 8 ½” x 11” pages front and back)
- Includes information regarding how marijuana effects the growing adolescent brain, behaviors of which marijuana is a risk factor, the rise in THC levels and why it’s addictive, how marijuana undermines student learning, what contributes to marijuana use, how to help prevent drug use and dependence in children (general), and warning signs of a worsening problem.
The Effects of Marijuana on the Teen Brain
- Includes presenter notes that further explain charts and graphs, data, and negative consequences of youth use of marijuana.