About Homeless Education
Definition of Homeless Youth
Any displaced child or youth who is living in a shelter, motel, inadequate trailer or house, is staying temporarily with relatives or friends due to economic hardship or loss of housing, or is living in any other homeless situation has educational rights under the McKinney-Vento Act.
Denver Post Feature
Dana Scott, CDE's State Homeless Education Coodinator, worked with Jennifer Brown, a reporter from the Denver Post, for several months on an article illustrating the impacts of homelessness on students’ lives, including their education. The article’s intent was also to provide information on the McKinney-Vento Act and the educational rights of homeless students. There are three parts and a 22 minute video.
McKinney-Vento Back to School Overview
As a new school year begins, the following resources will be helpful in serving your students experiencing homelessness. With the number of homeless students tripling since 2003-04, we know your work is more vital than ever. My contact information is at the bottom of this page, and I am available via phone, e-mail, or in person to discuss questions or feedback regarding the education of homeless children and youth. In addition, please consider reaching out to Paula Gumina, a program specialist at the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) who also works with McKinney-Vento Homeless Education, and/or the McKinney-Vento Regional Consultants across the state (contact information available here). We look forward to working with you in the year ahead.
Liaison and Back to School Information:
- Federal Brief on the Role of the Liaison and Implementation Strategies
- Determining Eligibility (document with sample questions and other insights on how to assess McKinney eligibility)
- McKinney-Vento Frequently Asked Questions
- 10 Things YOU Can Do to Help Homeless Children Go Back To School (can be distributed to increase school and community awareness)
- Common Signs of Homelessness (flyer)
- Tip Sheets for Multiple Audiences (can assist in building awareness and collaboration to support McKinney eligible students)
Additional McKinney-Vento Back to School Resources and Information:
- Colorado McKinney-Vento Back to School Webinar - August 25, 2014 (registration info coming soon)
- McKinney-Vento Trainings and Informational Meetings
- NCHE Back to School Webinars
- LEA Homeless Liaison Toolkit
- Title IA Homeless Set-Asides
- Higher Education Homeless Resources