This program, established in 2012, is dedicated to ensuring that students in foster care are achieving academically through course completion, advancing to the next grade, accruing credits toward graduation, and on a path to post-secondary success. These efforts are being organized by the new State Coordinator for Foster Care Education, who will be leading this work. This position was created in partnership with the Colorado Department of Human Services, Morgridge Family Foundation, and Mile High United Way.
Foster Care Program Overview
CWEL Designation Information
Under C.R.S. 22-32-138, each school district and the state charter school institute, shall designate a person to act as the Child Welfare Education Liaison (CWEL) for the district. The duties of the liaison include; working with child placement agencies, county departments, and the state department to facilitate the prompt and appropriate placement, transfer, and enrollment in school of students in out-of-home placement.
- CWEL Regional Webinar "Welcoming Fall of 2015"
- CWEL Regional Webinar PPT+
- Foster Care Continuum (FCC) Coffee Talks
- This is an opportunity for CWEL’s to learn what is new around foster care education and to talk with each other about current successes and barriers in a collaborative way. Each month a different location around the metro area has been chosen. Come to one or come to all.Breakfast or lunch will be on your own but this will provide us a venue to get together face to face for 2 hours each month. See dates and locations below. RSVP at the event bright hyperlink below, so we can assure we have enough space for everyone who plans to attend.
May 17, Tuesday 9-11 Golden Cafe 13, 1301 Arapahoe Street, Suite 110, Golden, CO 80401 (303) 278-2225
June 2, Thursday 11-1 Cherry Creek Noodles and Company, 2205 East Colfax Avenue, Denver, CO 80206 (303) 355-2889
- Regional trainings for CWEL’s and Districts
- April, TBD, Colorado Springs (Click here to RSVP)
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
Colorado Department of Education
201 E Colfax
Denver, CO 80203