May 29, 2013
USDA visit shines spotlight on healthy schools
Adams County School District 50 food program to be recognized
The U.S. Department of Agriculture Under Secretary Kevin Concannon will visit Westminster Elementary School, 7482 Irving St. in Westminster, on Thursday, May 30 to recognize Adams County School District 50 with several HealthierUS School Challenge awards.
As Under Secretary for Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services, Concannon oversees child nutrition programs including National School Lunch, School Breakfast, and Summer Food Service Programs. The event will be co-sponsored by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service Mountain Plains Regional Office, Colorado Department of Education Office of School Nutrition and Adams County School District 50.
The event will be held in the gym. The event agenda includes:
· 7:30 a.m. – Welcome, Westminster Elementary School Principal Matt Aubuchon
· 7:35 a.m. – Remarks, Jane Brand, Director Office of School Nutrition, Colorado Department of Education
· 7:40 a.m. – Remarks, Ruben Pacheco, Adams County School District 50 Board of Education
· 7:45 a.m. – Remarks, U.S. Department of Agriculture Under Secretary Kevin Concannon
· 7:50 a.m. – Award presentation and photos
· 7:50-8:15 – U.S. Department of Agriculture Under Secretary Kevin Concannon eats with students
The HealthierUS School Challenge program recognizes excellence in nutrition and physical activity in school districts across the United States. The challenge is a voluntary certification initiative recognizing those schools enrolled in Team Nutrition that have created healthier school environments through promotion of nutrition and physical activity. Healthier school environments have been tied to an increase in academic achievement. View more information.