May 20, 2011
State Council For Educator Effectiveness Meets Tuesday, May 24, In Denver
The next meeting of the State Council for Educator Effectiveness will be held on Tuesday, May 24 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Colorado Talking Book Library, 180 Sheridan Blvd., in Denver.
The agenda includes:
- 9 a.m. – Welcome and Announcements
- 9:05 a.m. –Framing and Progress Monitoring
- 9:15 a.m. – Update on State Board of Education Rulemaking
- 10 a.m. – State Model System Development and Pilot Overview
- 10:45 a.m. – Role of the State Council for Education Effectiveness
- 11:30 a.m. – Public Comment
- 12:15 p.m. – Teacher and Principal Model System Development
- 2 p.m. – Evaluation of Pilot and Model System
- 3 p.m. – Public Comment
- 3:15 p.m. – State Council for Educator Effectiveness Work Plan
- 3:45 p.m. - Closing
The 15-member council met for the first time on March 11, 2010. The purpose of the council, according to the governor’s charge, is to provide a forum for considering options and providing recommendations to ensure that every educator is:
- Evaluated using multiple, fair, transparent, timely, rigorous and valid methods, at least 50 percent of which is determined by academic growth of their students.
- Afforded a meaningful opportunity improve their effectiveness.
- Provided the means to share effective practices with other educators statewide.
Among other charges, the council was given an April 2011 deadline to draft definitions of teacher effectiveness and principal effectiveness and to “develop and recommend guidelines for adequate implementation of a high-quality educator evaluation system.” In April, they presented 60 recommendations to the Colorado State Board of Education for a new statewide teacher and principal evaluation system. To see the detailed recommendations, visit: http://www.cde.state.co.us/EducatorEffectiveness/Partner-SCEE.asp
Council members are appointed by the Governor and represent the business community, teachers, higher education, school and district administrators, school board members, charter schools, parents, students and the state department of education.
For more information on educator effectiveness initiatives at CDE, visit http://www.cde.state.co.us/educatoreffectiveness/