May 10, 2011
State Board Of Education Will Officially Appoint Commissioner Robert Hammond On Wednesday, May 11; Study Session On Educator Effectiveness Is Sole Focus on Thursday, May 12
The Colorado State Board of Education has two scheduled meetings this week, including a full-day on Wednesday, May 11, when the board will officially appoint Robert Hammond as Colorado Commissioner of Education.
In agenda items on Wednesday and Thursday, the state board will focus on the initial stages of the rulemaking process under Senate Bill 10-191. On Wednesday afternoon as part of its 2 p.m. discussion items, the board will participate in a follow-up discussion on the State Council on Educator Effectiveness report. Thursday, May 12, is devoted entirely to a three-hour study session on recommendations from the State Council for Educator Effectiveness regarding a new statewide teacher and principal evaluation system. The session will run from 9 a.m. to noon. A sign-up sheet will be provided if you wish to speak at the study session. More: http://www.cde.state.co.us/EducatorEffectiveness/
The meetings will be held in the first-floor board room at the Colorado Department of Education, 201 E. Colfax Ave., Denver.
Audio for the state board meeting is streamed live during the meeting at http://www.cde.state.co.us/index_sbe.htm. To view a detailed agenda including supporting documents, visit http://www.boarddocs.com/co/cde/Board.nsf/Public.
Following is the detailed agenda for Wednesday, May 11:
Wednesday, May 11
- Approval of the agenda and consent agenda.
- Appointment of the commissioner of education.
- Reports from members of the state board.
- Report from director of state board of education relations.
- 10 a.m.—Presentation of the TELL Colorado Survey. TELL Colorado is a statewide survey of school-based educators to assess teaching conditions at the school, district and state level. Launched in January 2011, the survey asked all teachers and principals in Colorado schools about the teaching and learning conditions in their schools. The intent of the survey is to provide schools and districts with valuable information to support school and district improvement planning. More: www.tellcolorado.org
- 10:30 a.m.—Innovation Schools Act Applications. Presentation by DPS on its applications for innovation schools status with regard to Denver Center for International Studies at Montbello, Denver Center for International Studies at Ford, and Noel Community Arts School.
- 11:15 a.m. Commissioner’s report.
- 12:30 to 1:00 p.m. Lunch (executive session).
- 1 p.m.—Recognition of the National Online Teacher of the Year.
- 1:20 p.m.—Recognition of the Language, Culture and Equity Educator of the Year.
- 1:30 p.m.—Rulemaking hearing: Rules governing standards for Individual Career and Academic Plans (ICAP).
- Disciplinary proceedings concerning a license, Charge No. 2010EC15.
- Disciplinary proceedings concerning a license, Charge No. 2010EC23.
- Disciplinary proceedings concerning a license, Charge No. 2010EC03.
- Disciplinary proceedings concerning a license, Charge No. 2010EC04.
- Disciplinary proceedings concerning an authorization, Charge No. 2011EC05.
- Request for approval of initial emergency authorizations (monthly total, 3).
- A waiver request from certain statutes by Boulder Valley School District RE-2 on behalf of Boulder Preparatory High School.
- Reappointment of a candidate for a position representing rural superintendents to the Public School Capital Construction Assistance Board.
- Certification of the Online Multi-District Program for Falcon Virtual Academy, Falcon 49 School District.
- 2 p.m.—Department reports: legislative update; report on the School Leadership Academy Board; report on State Literacy Plan and the State Environment Education Plan; follow-up discussion on State Council on Educator Effectiveness report.
- Public comment.