April 12, 2011
State Board Of Education This Week Will Receive Recommendations From The State Council For Educator Effectiveness; Agendas Set For Wednesday, April 13 And Thursday, April 14
The Colorado State Board of Education this week will receive
recommendations from the State Council for Educator Effectiveness that
detail a new statewide teacher and principal evaluation system.
Established by an executive order of former Gov. Bill Ritter in March 2010, the council and its charge was later codified in Senate Bill 10-191, commonly known as “The Great Teacher and Leaders Bill.” The recommendations are the result of more than 13 months of work and in-depth, statewide meetings, and will be presented to the state board on Wednesday, April 13. The meeting will begin at 10:15 a.m. The presentation on educator effectiveness will commence at 10:30 a.m. and continue until 12:30 p.m.
The meeting of the state board will continue on Thursday, beginning at 9 a.m. and end at 10:45 a.m. Both meetings will be held in the first-floor board room at the Colorado Department of Education, 201 E. Colfax Ave., in Denver.
Audio for the state board meeting is streamed live during the meeting at http://www.cde.state.co.us/index_sbe.htm. To view a detailed agenda including supporting documents, visit http://www.boarddocs.com/co/cde/Board.nsf/Public.
Following are the complete agendas:
Wednesday, April 13
- Approval of the agenda and consent agenda.
- 10:30 a.m.—State Council for Educator Effectiveness presentation.
- Noon—Overview of S.B. 191 rulemaking timeline.
- 12:30 p.m.—Lunch and executive session.
- 1 p.m.—Action items.
- Disciplinary proceedings concerning a license, charge number 2010EC20.
- Disciplinary proceedings concerning a license, charge number 2011EC01.
- Disciplinary proceedings concerning a license and a license application, charge number 2011EC02.
- Approval of initial emergency authorizations (monthly total, 2).
- Approval of the five-year reauthorization of the teacher preparation program at Fort Lewis College.
- Approval of the teacher induction program submitted by ACE Community Challenge School.
- Approval of the teacher induction program submitted by Aspen Academy.
- Approval of the teacher/special services provider induction program submitted by NHA-Foundations Academy.
- Approval of the teacher induction program submitted by Skyview Academy Charter School.
- Approval of the teacher induction program submitted by West End School District.
- Annual acknowledgement of the school districts regarding Exclusive Chartering Authority for the 2011-2012 school year.
- Approval of a waiver request from certain statutes by Colorado Springs School District 11 on behalf of GLOBE Charter School.
- Re-approval of a waiver request from certain statutes by Mesa County Valley School District 51 on behalf of Mesa Valley Vision—Home and Community Program.
- Approval of a waiver of 22-23-109(1)(v) C.R.S. pursuant to 22-2-117 C.R.S. by Aurora Public Schools on behalf of the Options Program.
- Approval of appointments to the Colorado Special Education Advisory Committee.
- Approval of appointment of members of the Facility Schools Board.
- Appointment of members to the Alternative School Funding Models Advisory Council.
- Appointment of members to the State Council for Parent Involvement in Education.
- 1:30 p.m.—Charter school appeal hearing.
- Imagine Pioneer Academy vs. Falcon School District 49.
- 3:30 p.m.—Rulemaking hearings.
- Amendments to the rules for the Accountability of Alternative Campuses, 1 CCR 301-57.
- Rules requiring parental notification upon an arrest made or charges brought against school employee, 1 CCR 301-87.
Thursday, April 14
- 9 a.m.—Recognition of Colorado Teacher of the Year, Michelle Pearson from Hulstrom Options K—8, Adams 12 Five Star School District.
- 9:15 a.m.—Colorado Department of Education reports.
- Legislative update.
- CAP4K (Colorado Achievement Plan For Kids) implementation—high school diploma endorsements and graduation guidelines.
- 10:15—10:45 a.m., Commissioner’s report.
- Public comment.
Note: The Colorado State Board of Education has scheduled executive sessions this week (closed to the public) to consider the employment of a public official pursuant to C.R.S. 24-6-402(3)(b)(I). The meetings are Wednesday, April 13 from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 4:15 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.; also Thursday, April 14 from 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. or until conclusion.