March 7, 2011
State Board Of Education Agendas For Wednesday, March 9 And Thursday, March 10
The Colorado State Board of Education will hold meetings this week on Wednesday, March 9 and Thursday, March 10.
The meetings will begin each day at 9 a.m. in the first-floor board room at the Colorado Department of Education offices, 201 E. Colfax Ave., in Denver.
Audio for the state board meeting is streamed live during the meeting at http://www.cde.state.co.us/index_sbe.htm. To view a detailed agenda including support documents, visit http://www.boarddocs.com/co/cde/Board.nsf/Public.
Following are the agendas:
Wednesday, March 9
Approval of the agenda and consent agenda.
- 9:30 a.m.—Reports from members of the state board of education.
- 9:25 a.m.—Director of state board of education relations report.
- 10 a.m.—Executive session.
- 10:30 a.m. to noon—Charter School Hearing: Lotus School for Excellence at Longmont vs. St. Vrain Valley School District RE-1J.
- Noon to 1:30 p.m.—Lunch and executive session.
- 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. —Charter School Hearing: Youth and Family academy vs. Pueblo School District 60.
- 3:30 p.m.—Rulemaking hearing: Rules requiring parental notification upon an arrest made or charges brought against a school employee. (Board may vote in March or April)
- 4 p.m.—Consideration and vote of the Innovation Schools Act application from Kit Carson School District.
- 4:20 p.m.—Recognition of Colorado’s Outstanding Leaders in Education: Discussion and vote on resolution regarding CDE Assistant Commissioner Vody Herrmann and the contribution she has made to Colorado.
- Approval of state share payments for March through May 2011.
- Request for approval of monthly initial emergency authorizations (monthly total 8).
- Approval of the Teacher Induction Program submitted by ACE Community Challenge School.
- Approval of Teacher Induction Program submitted by Aspen Academy.
- Approval of Teacher Induction Program submitted by NHA-Foundation Academy.
- Approval of the Teacher Induction Program submitted by SkyView Academy Charter School.
- Approval of Teacher Induction Program submitted by West End School District.
- Approval of a five-year reauthorization of the Teacher Preparation Program at Colorado College.
- Approval of a five-year reauthorization of the Teacher Preparation Program at Colorado State University at Pueblo.
- Approval of a five-year reauthorization of the Teacher Preparation Program at Regis College.
- Approval of a waiver request from certain statutes by Aspen School District on behalf of Aspen Community School.
- Approval of a waiver request from certain statutes by Harrison School District 2 on behalf of James Irwin Charter Elementary School.
- Approval of a waiver request from certain statutes by Brighton School District 27J on behalf of Foundations Academy.
- Resolution supporting school improvement in Colorado school districts.
- Approval of notice of rulemaking concerning amendments to the rules governing standards for individual career and academic plans.
Thursday, March 10
- 9:05 a.m.—School finance update.
- 9:25 a.m.—Legislative update.
- 9:55 a.m.—Report on college remediation in Colorado.
- 10:15 a.m. —Overview of multi-tiered systems of support—Response to Intervention and Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support.
- 10:35 a.m.—Administrative Unit Task Force update.
- 10:45 a.m.—Commissioner’s report.
- 11:30 a.m.—Recognition of the 2010 Milken Educator of the Year: Gina Oellig, Soaring Eagles Elementary School, Harrison School District 2. (See previous CDE news release: http://bit.ly/h1hMzz)
- Executive session (over lunch).
- Amendments to the rules for the accountability of Alternative Education Campuses.
- Appointments to the Colorado Special Education Advisory Committee.