Jan. 10, 2011
State Council For Educator Effectiveness To Hold Retreat Thursday, Jan. 13 – Saturday, Jan. 15
The next meeting for the State Council for Educator Effectiveness will be a three-day retreat held on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, Jan. 13-15. The retreat will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day at the University of Denver Morgridge College of Education, Ruffatto Hall, Community Room 105, 1999 E. Evans Ave., in Denver.
Due to the ambitious retreat agenda, there is no public comment opportunity at the retreat; however, this meeting is still open to the public. The council is developing a process for public input during February and March.
The agenda for this retreat will include work on the following topics:
· Teacher Standards
· Statewide Definitions of Teacher and Principal Effectiveness
· Model Statewide Teacher and Principal Evaluation Systems
· Framework for Measuring Teacher and Principal Quality Standards
· Approaches to Measuring Student Growth in Tested and Non-Tested Subjects and Grades
· Categories & Definitions for Teacher Effectiveness Performance Standards
· Involvement & Support of Parents/Guardians
· Student Engagement
· Implementation and Testing of New Performance Evaluation Systems
The 15-member council met for the first time on March 11, 2010. The purpose of the council, according to the governor’s charge, is to provide a forum for considering options and providing recommendations to ensure that every educator is:
· Evaluated using multiple, fair, transparent, timely, rigorous and valid methods, at least 50 percent of which is determined by academic growth of their students.
· Afforded a meaningful opportunity improve their effectiveness.
· Provided the means to share effective practices with other educators statewide.
Among other charges, the council was given a April 1, 2011 deadline to draft definitions of teacher effectiveness and principal effectiveness and to “develop and recommend guidelines for adequate implementation of a high-quality educator evaluation system.”
Council members represent the business community, teachers, higher education, school district administrators, school board members, charter schools, parents, students and the state department of education.
Additional dates have been added to the council’s planning meeting schedule. All meetings will be held at Colorado Department of Education, 201 E. Colfax Ave., State Board Room, in Denver, unless otherwise noted. They are:
· Friday, Jan. 28, 2011 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
· Friday, Feb. 11, 2011 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
· Friday, Feb. 25, 2011 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
· Friday, March 11, 2011 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
· Friday, March 25, 2011 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
· Friday, April 8, 2011 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
· Friday, April 22, 2011 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
For more information, visit http://www.cde.state.co.us/scripts/reforms/detail.asp?itemid=181271
Meeting minutes are available on the Governor’s Web site at www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/GovRitter/GOVR/1251573887411.
For technical assistance, E-Mail: CDE_Communications_Office@cde.state.co.us