Nov. 2, 2010
State Board Meeting Agenda For Wednesday Nov. 3
The Colorado State Board of Education this week will hold its regular board meeting on Wednesday, Nov. 3.
The meeting will begin at 9 a.m. in the first-floor board room at the Colorado Department of Education offices, 201 E. Colfax Ave., in Denver.
Following is the agenda:
- Approval of the agenda
- Consent agenda
- State Board of Education reports
- Director of state board of education relations report
- Legislative update
- Assessments update
- Discussion and public input regarding including social studies in assessments
- Budget update (note, this item may move to afternoon)
- Commissioner’s report
- Lunch & Executive Session—Noon
- Issues and trends
- Educational Data Advisory Committee 2009-2010 Annual Report
- 1:30 p.m. – Public rulemaking hearing to amend the rules governing the Educator Licensing Act of 1991 regarding the standards for professional competencies for an initial administrator license with a director of special education endorsement.
- 2 p.m. – Public rulemaking hearing to amend rules establishing requirements for authorization as a school speech language pathology assistant.
- 2:15 p.m. – Update on progress to use Title V fund for grant program.
- 2:30 p.m. – Recognition of the Online Teachers of the Year - Peggy Barnholt, Elementary Online Teacher of the Year from Colorado Connections Academy, Mapleton School District; and Kristin Kipp, Secondary Online Teacher of the Year from Jeffco’s 21st Century Virtual Academy, Jefferson County School District.
- 3:15 p.m. – State board implementation of commissioner search
- Commissioner Jones will discuss transition plans.
- The board will discuss a scope of work for a consultant firm and timeline for the selection of a new commissioner.
- Disciplinary proceedings concerning licenses, charge no. 2010EC12.
- Disciplinary proceedings concerning a license, charge no. 2010EC24.
- Disciplinary proceedings concerning a license, charge no. 2010EC25.
- Request for approval of initial emergency authorizations (monthly total, 1).
- Approval of a New Official General Education Development (GED) Testing Center Application.
- Approval of the reauthorization of the Douglas County Alternative Teacher Preparation Program.
- A waiver request from certain statutes by Douglas County School District RE 1 on behalf of Platte River Academy.
- A waiver request from certain statutes by Douglas County School District RE 1 on behalf of DCS Montessori Charter School.
- A waiver request from certain statutes by St. Vrain Valley School District RE-1J on behalf of Carbon Valley Academy.
- Appointment of Linda Barker (Colorado Education Association Teaching and Learning Specialist) to the State Advisory Council for Parent Involvement in Education.
- Approval of the Building Excellent Schools Today (BEST) Emergency Grant Award.
- Approval of notice of rulemaking pertaining to amendments to the rules for the administration of the School District Budget Law.
- Approval of notice of rulemaking pertaining to amendments to the rules for Accounting and Reporting.
- Approval of notice of rulemaking pertaining to amendments to the rules for the administration of the Closing of the Achievement Gap.
- Approval of the statewide targets established in the School and District Performance Frameworks.
- Approval of department recommendations concerning school plan types Under the Education Accountability Act of 2009.
- Appointment of commissioner of education on an interim basis.
- Direct state board staff and department staff to develop a request for proposal to solicit bids for consulting firms regarding the search for a new commissioner.
- Amendments to the rules governing the Educator Licensing Act of 1991 (as amended) regarding the standards for the linguistically diverse education endorsement.
- Amendments to the rules for the administration of the Exceptional Children’s Education Act Section 12.02(1)(g) pertaining to the gifted student education budget.
- Public Comment
For additional information about each agenda item or to review the proposed rules, please visit the state board’s Web page for agendas: www.boarddocs.com/co/cde/Board.nsf/Public